Friday, January 11, 2013

Blueberry Muffins and the Truth


Mike and I didn't realize it was raining until after the muffins were in the oven. There are two different colors a sky can turn when it rains--pasty gray or cobalt. It was a cobalt kind of rain. We couldn't find the lemon zester, so we used a potato peeler to cut the lemon skin into the dough. The muffins were just sweet enough, gooey with blueberries and a bite of lemon. If there are any left over tomorrow, I will cut them down the middle, spread the insides with butter, and grill them brown and crispy in a frying pan. They will be more lemony then.*

I've got a nice cup of Lady Grey tea--Earl with a little less bergamot.

I've been thinking about the truth and how I want more of it. Think about how many lies you are told every day, even things you believe on accident. You believe you need a new pair of Old Navy jeans. You believe Domino's new pan pizza will bring you joy (like their Christmas ads told us).**

These seem like harmless lies. Truth? There is no such thing. When you allow lies to sink into your mind, you begin believing them as truth. I visited Journey Church in Limerick, PA on Sunday. One of the things the pastor said was this: if you believe a lie as truth, it will act as truth in your life. 

There are, of course, worse lies than these. I've found, for me, they take root slowly, slipping in my ears and eyes and growing into my actions until I'm living like my money belongs to me instead of God or I'm putting my selfish desires before the needs of people I love. 

It's just this: it is so hard to get away from the lies because we wind up telling them to ourselves. We tell ourselves we're not good enough, or we tell ourselves we're too good to be true. We tell ourselves our sins don't matter or that we can fix everything on our own.

The only way we can dry up these falsehoods in our lives is to live awash in truth. If our lives are full of knowing and living the truth, where will the lies get in? Where will they find the holes? I'm not saying we won't wrestle with gray areas. We may even wrestle more. However, if we do not live in a determinedly truthful way, we will live in lies. The only way to be sure of the truth is to dwell in Christ. 

*Blueberry Muffin Recipe :) It was really good. 

**Seriously--if Domino's pizza is the source of true joy for all creation, I do not want to live on this earth anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment